Foam roofing options
Here in Nashville, TN, commercial structures need the best roofing to handle both kinds of weather and foam roofing can do just that. Spray foam roofing pros and cons are many, and we’ll cover those as we answer commonly asked questions about foam roofing on commercial structures. First though, we will specify exactly what is spray foam roofing?
Spray foam roof is a plastic type of material that can seal up cracks and gapes while insulating a building, making it more comfortable and energy-efficient. Because it has a resistance to heat transfer, it is highly effective in minimizing unwanted air infiltrating into the building through cracks, joints, and seams. There are three main types of foam roofing used, each with a specific purpose:
- HIGH-DENSITY: Good for exterior and roofing use.
- MEDIUM-DENSITY: A continuous insulation in interior wall cavities and unvented attics.
- LOW-DENSITY: Good for interior wall cavities and unvented attic applications.
How long do foam roofs last?
The answer to this question will start with “it depends”. The factors that can determine the lifespan of foam roofing is quality of the installation and the follow-maintenance and upkeep of the roof. On the average, with little to no maintenance or upkeep routine, you can expect to get 20 years from your foam roofing. With routine maintenance and regular upkeep, the lifespan can be up to 30 years.
- Recommended maintenance includes:
- Recoat the foam roofing surface the 5th year and 25th year after installation.
- Inspection and touch up the foam roofing surface the 10th, 15th, and 20th year after installation.
Should your foam roofing last past the 25th year, which if this maintenance schedule is followed, the roofing contractor will advise you when the next inspection, touch up, and recoating. Your foam roofing could last well up to 80 years with this schedule.
Can you walk on a foam roof?
Yes, of all the spray foam roofing material, the fact it is moisture-curing and self-expanding is one of the things that makes it so attractive. It will adhere to every common building material, resisting heat and water, slow to age and if you’re wondering, will spray foam stop water leaks, the answer is yest! Foam roofing fills cracks, gaps, holes, and other void like around pipes and other protrusions on a flat roof to keep water out.
Is spray foam watertight?
It may be hard to find a commercial roofer in Nashville, TN that is able to keep up with all the different types of industrial roofs that are out there. We don’t have that problem. We specialize in services related to industrial roofing, so no matter if you have a hotel or church, we will be able to work on your roof. We are also experienced with other types of roofs, including metal, foam, and single-ply options. Another thing that is important to remember is that we not only install these types of roofs, but we can repair them as well. This means small repairs and big ones too. We will be there to help you in the long haul.
Is foam roofing good?
Yes, the spray foam roofing benefits are proof as to why so many commercial property owners choose to go this route for their flat roofing coverage. While we have covered those benefits in this piece, we offer the following recap to the benefits of foam roofing:
- Energy Bills are Lower: One of the benefits that foam roofing offers is a superior insulation property that suspend aluminum particles of the foam to reflect the strong UV rays of the sun. With that, there is less air conditioning needed in the summer and less heating in the winter. Foam roofing can lower energy bills by thirty percent.
- Waterproofing: Foam roofing has a unique waterproof quality, making it a great insulator. This closed cell foam roofing material will not absorb water, even in a monsoon type rainstorm. Spray foam roofing starts in a liquid form, then forms a single monolithic membrane. When this material is used to cover an entire roof, there aren’t any joints or seams to worry about water getting into.
- Flexible Installation: Foam roofing can be applied on an existing or new roof and over concrete, metal, or wood, dome shape, flat, or sloped roof lines. Even an irregular-shaped roof, foam roofing is the perfect roof coating.
- Structural Integrity: Polyurethane foam roofing can withstand contracting and expanding of a structure and still remain in good condition for sealing the roof. It can withstand high winds, hard rain, and plenty of sunshine without breaking down.
The main factor that will make spray foam roofing the best money spent is hiring a commercial roofing contractor that knows how to apply foam roofing. When it isn’t installed correctly, the benefits are overshadowed. As you call for estimates and quotes, ask for recent references and check those references. Call (931) 220-1728 today for your foam roofing in Nashville, TN.